Mark Shepard of Houston, Texas, has generously shared part of his collection of images celebrating the African American community in Terre Haute with Wabash Valley Visions & Voices. The photograph at left is one such image.
The Jones Pharmacy was the only African American owned and operated pharmacy in Terre Haute. It was founded by Dr. Winton D. Jones Sr., a graduate of the Butler University College of Pharmacy. Dr. Jones opened his drug store on the corner of 13th Street and College Avenue in 1925. In 1942, he built the pictured pharmacy at 1024 South 14th Street. Dr. Jones remained at this location until 1977.
To view other images from the Mark Shepard collection, click here.