In tiny Merom, Ind., a progressive college opened its doors in 1859. Union Christian College was a co-educational school where women were encouraged to enroll in any class that men took.
Pictured at right is the Linconian Hall, so named in honor of President Lincoln in 1863. The Linconian Society met in this room.
Union Christian College closed its doors in 1924. For the next 12 years, the facility was opened only in the summer for various camps. In 1936, the campus was reopened as the Merom Institute. Owned by the Indiana-Kentucky Conference of the United Church of Christ, the facility is now known as the Merom Conference Center.
This image is part of the Sullivan County Public Library collection. Check out a larger image of the Linconian Hall.